What is OMVIC
OMVIC (Ontario Motor Vehicle Industry Council) administers and enforces the Motor Vehicle Dealers Act(MVDA), its regulations and code of ethics, as well as relevant sections of the Consumer Protection Act, on behalf of Ontario's Ministry of Government and Consumer Services (MGCS).
OMVIC’s mandate is to maintain a fair and informed marketplace by protecting the rights of consumers, enhancing industry professionalism and ensuring fair, honest and open competition for registered motor vehicle dealers.
OMVIC’s adherence to these ideals is reflected in its mission statement:
We will take pride in the results of our commitment to a fair marketplace, achieved through innovation, enforcement and excellence in service
OMVIC by the Numbers
The following is a brief summary of OMVIC’s 2018 statistics, initiatives and achievements.
Registrants: 38,159, includes
- 8,100 dealers
- 30,059 salespersons
Compliance initiatives (includes inspections/ investigations/prosecutions/administrative actions):
- 2,491 inspections conducted. Note: 4% of inspections referred to senior management for possible further action
- 351 investigations opened
- 350 charges laid against 30 entities
- 37 Notices of Complaint served (CoE/Discipline matters)
- 197 advertising compliance cautions issued
- 53 formal caution letters issued by the Business Standards team
- 437 responses from Business Standards team to dealer inquiries about compliance issues
- 1,174 Registrar actions taken (includes 61 Proposals to Revoke, Suspend or Deny Registration)
Consumer Complaint Conciliation:
- 1,192 formal complaints received
- Negotiated return of $965,540 to consumers via conciliation efforts
- 74 bulletins, newsletters and news releases published
- 39 seminars/webinars conducted
- 39 media interviews conducted
- 73.85% of dealers registered as online members
- 66.48% of salespersons registered as online members
Motor Vehicle Dealers Compensation Fund:
- 55 claims received; 40 approved (12 deferred to 2019, one withdrawn, 2 denied)
- Total value of claims paid: $402,016
Board of Directors
OMVIC receives guidance from a 12-member Board of Directors comprised of nine elected motor vehicle dealers and three public representatives appointed by the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services. The Board's responsibilities include providing business direction to OMVIC while ensuring its financial and functional viability and providing access to appropriate resources.
OMVIC Senior Management
Day-to-day management of OMVIC is provided by a Chief Executive Officer and senior management team.
The Registrar is responsible for the overall administration of the MVDA. This responsibility includes statutory authority to issue Proposals to Refuse, Revoke or Suspend Registration.