What is OMVIC
OMVIC (Ontario Motor Vehicle Industry Council) enforces the Motor Vehicle Dealers Act, 2002 (MVDA) on behalf of the Ontario government through the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services (MGCS). Our mandate is to maintain a fair and informed marketplace in Ontario by protecting the rights of consumers, enhancing industry professionalism and ensuring fair, honest and open competition for registered motor vehicle dealers.
Our adherence to these ideals is reflected in our mission statement:
We will take pride in the results of our commitment to a fair marketplace, achieved through innovation, enforcement and excellence in service.
OMVIC by the Numbers
The following is a brief summary of OMVIC’s 2017 statistics, initiatives and achievements.
Registrants: 37,110, includes
- 8,086 dealers
- 29,024 salespersons
Compliance initiatives (includes inspections/ investigations/prosecutions/administrative actions):
- 2,415 inspections conducted. Note: 5.1% of inspections referred to senior management for possible further action
- 385 investigations opened
- 341 charges laid against 48 entities
- 19 Notices of Complaint served (CoE/Discipline matters)
- 415 advertising compliance cautions issued
- 78 formal caution letters issued by the Business Standards team
- 601 responses from Business Standards team to dealer inquiries about compliance issues
- 1,011 Registrar actions taken (includes 61 Proposals to Revoke, Suspend or Deny Registration)
Consumer Complaint Conciliation:
- 1,213 formal complaints received
- Negotiated return of $881,568 to consumers via conciliation efforts
Public Complaints Against OMVIC:
- 1 formal complaint received
- 95 bulletins, newsletters and news releases published
- 59 seminars/webinars conducted
- 61 media interviews conducted
- 71.5% of dealers registered as online members
- 75.3% of salespersons registered as online members
Motor Vehicle Dealers Compensation Fund:
- 88 claims received; 69 approved
- Total value of claims paid: $1.1 million
Board of Directors
OMVIC receives guidance from a 12-member Board of Directors comprised of nine elected motor vehicle dealers and three consumer representatives appointed by the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services. The Board's responsibilities include providing business direction to OMVIC while ensuring its financial and functional viability and providing access to appropriate resources.
OMVIC Senior Management
Day-to-day management of OMVIC is provided by a Chief Executive Officer and senior management team.
The Registrar is responsible for the overall administration of the MVDA. This responsibility includes statutory authority to issue Proposals to Refuse, Revoke or Suspend Registration.