OMVIC is governed by a Board of Directors. The board plays an important role by:
- Providing business direction to OMVIC,
- Ensuring its financial and functional viability,
- Ensuring operational and financial controls are working properly,
- Providing OMVIC with access to appropriate resources, and,
- Communicating and promoting OMVIC's benefits for consumers, registrants and government.
From time to time, OMVIC is directed by MPBSD to address certain matters. These directives in some cases are communicated by statutory Minister’s Order. On April 19 the Chair of OMVIC’s Board of Directors received five (5) statutory Minister’s Orders from the Minister of Public and Business Service Delivery.
The orders instruct the board to:
- Decrease the number of board members from 12 to 9
- Ensure all board members possess a positive orientation for proactive consumer protection initiatives
- Ensure no more than 34% of the members of the board are drawn from the industry
- Establish a nominations committee with requirements around composition, eligibility criteria and terms, and
- Establish an industry advisory council, comprised of members representing the interests of motor vehicle dealers and salespersons to report to and advise the board.
These orders are aligned with the work being done by other administrative authorities, such as Tarion and the Home Construction Regulatory Authority, to improve governance and ensure a balanced, skills-based board.
We will work closely with our board, stakeholders and MPBSD in the coming weeks and months to implement the necessary changes.
Board of Directors contact information
Please use OMVIC's mailing address to send mail to the Board of Directors.