OMVIC New Board Chair Announcement
The Ontario Motor Vehicle Industry Council (OMVIC) is pleased to announce that Ms. Virginia West will assume the role of Chair of the Board of Directors effective June 16, 2021, as appointed by the Minister of Government and Consumer Services.
In this position, Ms. West will be assisting OMVIC and the board to execute on the strategic goals outlined in our 2020-2022 Strategic Plan, as we continue to ensure a fair, safe and informed marketplace for motor vehicle sales in Ontario.
Ms. West is a former Deputy Minister for the Province of Ontario, and has a distinguished career serving in five successive portfolios – Solicitor General, Public Safety and Security, Environment, Labour, and Natural Resources. She has also held leadership positions at the municipal level – as Commissioner of City Property for the City of Toronto, Chief Administrative Officer for the Borough of East York and the first Commissioner of Urban Planning and Development for the amalgamated City of Toronto. She is a lawyer by profession and holds an MBA from the University of Toronto.
Ms. West has served on many community boards and Crown Agencies and is currently a Board Director and Vice-Chair of Unity Health Toronto (St. Michael’s Hospital, St. Joseph’s Health Centre, Providence Healthcare), and Chair of the Home Construction Regulatory Authority. She has been a member of the Board of Directors of the Canadian Red Cross since 2017 and is chair of the Quality Committee.
This appointment will help OMVIC to realize the vision that it shares with the Ministry: delivering a people-centered approach to regulation, while driving cost savings, and ensuring consumers get excellent value.
"We are delighted to welcome Ms. West and her contribution toward the continued success of OMVIC. Her extensive governance, financial and risk management expertise will ensure we continue to deliver on our mandate and elevate the practices within the motor vehicle sales industry," said John Carmichael, Chief Executive Officer and Registrar, OMVIC.
"I want to thank outgoing Chair Kevin Bavelaar for his dedication and leadership on OMVIC's Board of Directors. Mr. Bavelaar has been the Chair since May 2018. His passion and commitment to OMVIC and the industry is worthy of recognition. As I transition into this new role, I look forward to Mr. Bavelaar’s sound advice and to working with the board members and staff to continue our mission of consumer protection in the motor vehicle sales industry," said Virginia West.
OMVIC is governed by a Board of Directors of 9 elected motor vehicle dealers and three consumer representatives appointed by the Minister of Government and Consumer Services.
The composition of the Board is as follows:
- Two directors who are members of the Used Car Dealers Association (UCDA),
- Two directors who are members of the Trillium Automobile Dealers Association (TADA),
- Three directors who are members of both the UCDA and TADA,
- One director who is an independent dealer who may or may not be a member of a trade association,
- One director who is a franchise dealer who may or may not be a member of a trade association,
- Three directors who are appointed by the Minister of Government and Consumer Services.
The 12-member Board plays an important role by:
- Providing business direction to OMVIC,
- Ensuring its financial and functional viability,
- Ensuring operational and financial controls are working properly,
- Providing OMVIC with access to appropriate resources, and,
- Communicating and promoting OMVIC's benefits for consumers, registrants and government.
Board of Directors contact information
Please use OMVIC's mailing address to send mail to the Board of Directors.