OMVIC utilizes social media, including but not limited to, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, SoundCloud and LinkedIn, to share information about automotive consumer rights and safety, dealer responsibilities and industry news that may be of interest to consumers and/or registered dealers.
OMVIC’s social media channels are monitored and managed by the Communications Department of OMVIC.
As the regulator of motor vehicle sales in Ontario, OMVIC’s mandate is to maintain a fair and informed marketplace by protecting the rights of consumers, enhancing industry professionalism and ensuring fair, honest and open competition for registered motor vehicle dealers.
Users who engage with ANY of OMVIC’s social media channels accept the following terms:
- The views of participants posting/commenting on OMVIC’s social media channels do not necessarily represent the views of OMVIC.
- To protect the privacy of registered dealers, salespeople and their employees, as well as the privacy of OMVIC employees, OMVIC will use its best efforts to remove posts/tweets/comments containing a person's name or personal information.
- “Likes”/retweets/favourites/shares, etc. from OMVIC are NOT an endorsement.
- Links to articles/stories/websites/etc. are NOT an endorsement of the linked content/material.
- OMVIC will review posts/comments/tweets, but cannot commit to replying to all posts/comments/tweets and/or moderating all discussion on OMVIC’s social media channels.
- OMVIC reserves the right to edit or remove posts/tweets/comments for any reason, including but not limited to, messages that are:
Your use of OMVIC’s social media channels, including posted content, is at your own risk. OMVIC does not represent that its social media channels will be uninterrupted or error-free, that defects will be corrected or that social media websites are free from viruses.
OMVIC and its employees and independent contractors shall not be responsible or liable for any damages, whether direct, indirect, incidental, consequential or other damages arising out of or in connection with OMVIC’s social media channels, including posted content.
- racist, hateful, sexist, homophobic, libelous, insulting or threatening
- aggressive, coarse, violent, obscene or pornographic in tone
- offensive to an individual or an organization, rude in tone or otherwise abusive
- not sent by the author; put forward for advertising purposes and/or are written in a language other than English or French
- unintelligible, or otherwise inconsistent with the purposes of OMVIC’s social media channels
- repetitive or spamming of threads
- politically motivated, or are trying to advertise services or solicit business
NOTE: OMVIC is unable to resolve specific issues and/or complaints in a public forum. These matters can ONLY be handled through direct contact with OMVIC’s Complaints and Inquiries Team. Please do not post personal information or details about any specific issue you have in social media communication with OMVIC, as it may interfere with the resolution process.
We encourage Ontario consumers to contact OMVIC directly at 416-226-4500 x3942, or toll free 1-800-943-6002 x3942, so we can assist with car-buying challenges and concerns. Consumers can also file a complaint via email at
or online at https://www.omvic.on.ca/Complaints/ComplaintForm.aspx
Please note the information you provide via email or through the online complaint form will be used to deal with your complaint, and as a result may need to be shared with the dealership against whom a complaint relates. This may also involve redirecting your inquiry or comment to another person or department better suited to meeting your needs. OMVIC may use the information you provide for the purpose of an investigation or administrative action.