Follow Us:


Before Filing a Complaint

Interested in filing a complaint with OMVIC? Here are a few steps to consider before you do.

Remember: OMVIC has no jurisdiction over private sales, manufacturers or independent repair facilities.

OMVIC-Registered Dealer

If your complaint is about a registered dealer, consider the following steps:

  • Contact the dealer to try to work out a reasonable solution (ask to speak with the General Manager or a person in charge of day-to-day operations).
  • Be respectful of the other side. You'll stand a better chance of resolving the issue.
  • Be clear about what you want.
  • Be prepared to compromise if you want to avoid having to sue in court. Remember, only a court (not OMVIC) can order the dealer to compensate you.
  • Keep copies of all documents.
  • Keep a written record of all your contacts with the dealer, who you spoke with and when.
  • If your attempts to resolve the issue didn't meet with success, give us a call.

Still not sure of your consumer rights or the dealer's responsibilities? Contact the Complaints and Inquiries Team by phone at
1-800-943-6002 x3942 or by email at


If you think you've dealt with someone who appeared to be in the business of buying or selling vehicles but isn't registered with OMVIC, you may have dealt with a curbsider.

Find out how to avoid Curbsiders.


If you think your vehicle has a manufacturing defect and is not more than five years old, you may qualify for arbitration through the Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan (CAMVAP). For more information, please visit their website as OMVIC has no jurisdiction over manufacturers.

Have a question before filing a complaint?

Check out the frequently asked questions.