Buying registered provides consumer protection, but a signed contract is still FINAL! Consider the following car-buying tips:
- Ensure salesperson understands your needs. Not being listened to? Shop elsewhere
- Take thorough test drive – not just around the block
- Understand “all-in” price advertising, don’t accept additional charges (except HST and licensing)
- Only agree to pay for optional products or services you want and believe have value
- Used vehicle? Ask for or purchase history report; consider inspection by trusted mechanic
- Get all conditions and promises in writing (e.g., xxx to be repaired, subject to partner's approval)
- Keep copies of all documentation including advertisements, contract and/or finance agreement
- Carefully read contract (and finance agreement) – there’s no cooling-off period once signed
Tips for Buying From an OMVIC-Registered Dealer
If you're talking to a dealer and he or she isn't listening to you, remember you can always walk away and shop elsewhere. Know your rights as an Ontario car-buyer.
How to Buy From an OMVIC-Registered Dealer:The Test Drive
When buying a car privately or from a registered dealer, consumers have to learn to protect themselves; and one of the key steps is taking a thorough test drive – not just around the block!