The following are exempted from registration (refer to MVDA 2002 General Regulation 2 for full details and more explanation):
- Wholesale auction: Auction having no property interest in the vehicles being sold, where only registered dealers or persons exempt from registration can sell vehicles, and only registered dealers can buy vehicles.
- Wrecker: Subject to vehicles being purchased for the purpose of wrecking or dismantling, and in compliance with the Highway Traffic Act by reporting "wreck" status to MTO.
- Person selling a vehicle used for family or for a sole proprietorship business.
- Selling a power-assisted bicycle equipped with both a pedal and auxiliary motor.
- Registered charity: Must be a charity within the meaning of subsection 248(1) of the Income Tax Act (Canada) and acts as such.
- Heavy truck dealer: Dealer who trades in vehicles that have a gross weight of more than 21 tons when carrying the maximum permitted load of the vehicle (and its trailer, where applicable).
- Bus or commercial vehicle dealer: Dealers who trade in buses or commercial vehicles (as defined in the Highway Traffic Act
- Person selling under a court order as a liquidator, a receiver, a trustee in bankruptcy or the executor (trustee) of an estate.
- Car rental agency: Only renting vehicles which they do not own or sell. Vehicles can be rented for a period of no more than 120 consecutive days.
- Not-for-profit corporation that provides information to persons to assist with trade: Assist a consumer in making decisions regarding a trade in a motor vehicle, subject to having no property interest in the vehicle; no conflict of interest with a registrant or insurer; disclosing what they receive from any person for providing the assistance; not handling any payments in connection with a trade; and providing annual filings to the Registrar.
- Company acquiring vehicles for business use: Company that acquires vehicles for use in the company’s business or for the use of the staff, provided it is not also in the business of trading or repairing vehicles.
- Creditors and their agents: Creditors who take lawful possession of a debtor’s motor vehicle and who sell the vehicle to or through a registered dealer, or a person who is in the business of taking lawful possession of a vehicle on behalf of a creditor and selling it to or through a registered dealer.
- Insurance company: Trading vehicles in connection with an insurance claim, registering the vehicles in the name of the insurance company, and selling them to or through a registered dealer.
- Manufacturer or authorized distributor: Subject to providing a declaration to the Registrar, and trading in vehicles only with dealers in the General Dealer "new and used vehicles" subclass.