Responsibility for ensuring all salespeople are properly registered should be delegated to a responsible individual by the dealer. The best choice would be a person who has supervisory authority over the sales staff and who is involved in the hiring process or the individual appointed as administrator for OMVIC’s online renewal service. This supervisory person should complete the Automotive Certification Course to ensure he/she has a good understanding of OMVIC’s registration requirements.
This individual’s responsibilities should include:
- Verifying with OMVIC that all salespeople are properly registered. This can be done by checking the website at https://www.omvic.on.ca/RegistrantSearch or by establishing and utilizing an Online Services account.
- Ensuring a "Salesperson Change Notice" form is completed and submitted to OMVIC (assuming the new salesperson is already registered).
- Ensuring a "Salesperson Cancellation Notice" form is completed and submitted to OMVIC whenever a salesperson leaves the dealer. This person should also ensure OMVIC is made aware of any conduct issues which would affect the salesperson’s continued eligibility for registration.
- Ensuring an "Individual Application" form is completed and submitted to OMVIC if the new salesperson has never been registered or a previous registration has lapsed.
- Signing on behalf of the dealer all registration applications or change notices pertaining to salespeople. OMVIC will direct correspondence pertaining to pending applications to the attention of the individual who signed on behalf of the dealer.
- Ensuring registration certificates are received and a copy is kept for the dealer’s records.
- Following up with OMVIC if a registration certificate is not received within a reasonable period of time.
- Recording/monitoring expiry dates of all salespeople to ensure renewal applications are received and submitted on time.
- Ensuring no staff member acts in the capacity of a salesperson until confirmation of registration is received from OMVIC.
Note: It is important for a dealer to be fully aware of a salesperson’s history before deciding to sponsor the applicant for registration. Therefore, it is recommended someone other than the salesperson be responsible for mailing the salesperson’s application to OMVIC. This helps prevent salespeople (who may have problems in their past, such as a criminal record) from altering the disclosures on their application or providing attachments which the sponsoring dealer has not seen.