Consumer Line

March 2017

OMVIC Message

 

In This Issue

  • 5 tips to avoid falling victim to a curbsider

  • What’s new with Drive Clean?

  • Whether buying a trip, or a car- you have a right to transparency in advertising


Contact Us


If you have any questions, comments or suggestions for Consumer Line, email us at

omvic@omvic.on.ca and let us know what you think!


Connect with OMVIC on social media!


Facebook
  Like OMVIC on Facebook


Twitter
  Follow OMVIC on Twitter


instagram  Follow OMVIC on Instagram

LinkedIn  Follow OMVIC on LinkedIn


OMVIC Logo


OMVIC Logo






CONSUMER PROTECTION

5 Tips to Avoid Falling Victim to a Curbsider

Curbsiders are lying in wait in online marketplaces, ready to pounce on unsuspecting consumers. So if you’re purchasing a car in Ontario – Protect Yourself!

To mark Fraud Prevention Month, learn about your car-buying rights and when they apply, and learn how to spot the telltale signs of a curbsider!

Click here to read more tips

Don't Get Ripped Off by a Curbsider! 


What’s New with Drive Clean?

Effective April 1, 2017, most passenger cars, vans and SUVs, no longer require a Drive Clean emissions test when sold or transferred. Vehicles seven years old and older will still require testing every two years at registration renewal.

Learn more about the latest Drive Clean program changes and what you can do before purchasing a vehicle to ensure it is free of emissions issues.

Read more

Ontario's Drive Clean 

Whether buying a trip, or a car- you have a right to transparency in advertising

All-in price advertising has been the law for all Ontario car dealers for more than seven years! And yet, only 33 per cent of Ontario consumers know they have a right to all-in pricing when buying a car; the other 67 percent are either uninformed or misinformed.

Learn about all-in price advertising

 

OMVIC Contact

OMVIC administers and enforces the Motor Vehicle Dealers Act (MVDA) on behalf of the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services. OMVIC maintains a fair and informed vehicle sales marketplace by regulating dealers and salespersons, regularly inspecting Ontario's 8,000 dealerships and 27,000 salespeople, maintaining a complaint line for consumers and conducting investigations and prosecutions of industry misconduct and illegal sales (curbsiding). OMVIC is also responsible for administering the Motor Vehicle Dealers Compensation Fund on behalf of its Board of Trustees.

Consumer Line is OMVIC’s consumer guide to Ontario’s motor vehicle dealer industry. It is published throughout the year, delivered free via e-mail and provides consumers with useful tips, industry news and important, up-to-date information.

Subscribe to Consumer Line Newsletter