May 14, 2021 - Ontario Extends Provincial Stay-at-Home Order
Ontario Extends Provincial Stay-at-Home Order
On May 13, 2021, the Ontario government announced that it is extending the provincewide Stay-at-Home Order for another two weeks until at least Wednesday, June 2nd, 2021.
What does this mean for dealers?
Car dealerships are still considered essential. Motor vehicle dealers across Ontario must operate their showrooms by appointment only between 7 a.m. and 8 p.m. Based on the information available, the announcement does not affect dealerships so long as they comply with existing guidelines under the stay-at-home order. Under the stay-at-home order, dealers may remain open under the following restrictions:
- Operate by appointment only at 25 per cent capacity
- A safety plan must be prepared and made available upon request
- Dealers must post capacity limits publicly
- Dealers must have passive screening for patrons and actively screen employees
- Dealers must post signs publicly informing individuals on how to screen themselves for COVID-19 before entering the premises
- Individuals must physically distance and wear a mask or face covering inside the premises
- Line-ups and patrons congregating outside must be managed by the venue, standing two metres distance inside and outside. Face coverings are required in line-ups
- Members of the public must not be permitted in areas where the products are neither sold nor displayed for sale.
Test drive restrictions
The Province will continue allowing test drives under these restrictions:
- Test drives must be limited to a maximum of 10 minutes
- A maximum of two people, including up to one sales representative, may be present in the vehicle during the test drive
- If two people who are not members of the same household are present in the vehicle during the test drive, any windows in the vehicle must be opened at all times
- Masks or face coverings should be worn by everyone participating in a test drive
- Vehicles should be properly disinfected before and after each test drive.
Please direct questions about the restrictions outlined above to firstname.lastname@example.org or the Ministry of Government and Consumer Services’ Stop the Spread Business Information Line at 1-888-444-3659.