Manufacturer Advertisements vs. Dealer Advertisements
Friday, November 13, 2015
All-in price advertising is the law; a law meant to provide transparency to consumers and create a fair and level playing field for car dealers. Through OMVIC’s continuous consumer awareness efforts, the public is becoming more informed on the rules surrounding all-in price advertising when purchasing a car from an OMVIC-Registered Dealer — but there is still some confusion…
Manufacturers Do NOT Require OMVIC Registration
OMVIC does not regulate vehicle manufacturers; therefore advertisements placed by manufacturers do not have to comply with the Motor Vehicle Dealers Act. With that being said, some manufacturers voluntarily comply with advertising provisions and commendably provide transparency to consumers. However, not all do.
How To Identify A Manufacturer Advertisement
Make certain you aren’t mistaking a manufacturer advertisement before relying on an advertised price representation.
Review Identifying Information
- Look for an OMVIC-Registered Dealership name or dealership group referenced in the advertisement. If there isn’t a reference to a dealership or group of dealerships this may indicate it is a manufacturer’s advertisement.
- If a website referenced in an advertisement directs you to the manufacturer’s national website — not to a specific dealership’s website — this may also indicate that it is a manufacturer’s advertisement.
Other Signs You May Be Viewing A Manufacturer Advertisement
- The fine print will suggest additional fees such as freight, PDI and/or government levies are not included in the advertised price.
- The fine print references restrictions in provinces other than Ontario.
- A manufacturer advertisement may suggest consumers see their local franchise dealership for further details.
So remember, advertisements placed by dealers must include all fees and charges the dealer intends to collect. Manufacturer advertisements don’t have to follow these rules, so it’s important to know whose advertisement it is you’re reading/viewing.
Copyright OMVIC ©2015