Buying a Vehicle? Follow These Tips When Taking Delivery of Your New Car!
Wednesday, March 1, 2017
Purchased a vehicle from an OMVIC-Registered Dealer? Anxious to take delivery of the vehicle? Don’t let excitement take over completely – there are a few crucial steps to take to ensure your purchase goes smoothly right up until you drive off the lot.
11 tips to consider when taking delivery of your vehicle
- Don’t be rushed; ensure you have all of your questions/concerns addressed.
- If a new version of the contract is presented when you pick up the vehicle, ensure the terms and prices are the same as the initial agreement.
- Sometimes when purchasing a vehicle, a consumer will sign a credit application; the actual loan agreement may be signed at the time of delivery. Ensure the loan agreement has the same terms/interest rate as agreed upon and no additional fees have been added.
- Take a thorough walk-around with the salesperson to inspect for scratches/damages. This should be done in daylight or in a well-lit area.
- If you previously had an agreement that repairs would be conducted or options added, ensure they are completed before handing over money or signing-off on the final contract.
- Have the salesperson explain how to operate all systems and features of the vehicle.
- Have the maintenance and warranty requirements explained to you.
- Ensure you obtain all keys/remotes for the vehicle.
- Ensure you get copies of ALL paperwork, including the safety/e-test.
- If the vehicle is pre-owned, ensure there is a spare tire and jack.
- If the vehicle is equipped with locking lug nuts on the wheels, ensure you get the key.
Remember, buying a vehicle can be an emotionally charged experience with long-term financial implications. Smart consumers know a purchase of this importance requires research, knowledge and careful deliberation. Consumers are advised to educate themselves about the steps to take when purchasing a vehicle, including taking delivery, to ensure they protect themselves throughout the whole car-buying process. For more car-buying tips, visit OMVIC’s website.
Copyright OMVIC ©2017